by Louis R. Whitt
(Pulaski, TN. US)
A X-90 Similar 2 Mine, but mine is 2x4
1.Do all AC Motors have regenerative braking?
2.Is a 1800 rpm 100 hp 3-phase 208-230/460V TEFC cast iron 405TC frame Class F insulation NEMA design B electrically reversible C Face mounting cast iron mounting feet cast iron junction box steel fan cover 5:1 variable torque rating 2:1 constant torque rating General purpose AC Motor Good Enough for My X-90?
3. Can I add Solar Panels, with the Regenerative Braking Ability for longer Distances Between Charges? Can a Wind Generator Combined with Old Car Fan, or House fan Blade under Hood to produce a longer charge as well? If so How far Can I go, and how fast with this motor?
4. I'm Thinking of using 12v Optima Batteries for Pack. Is this a good idea? How far will these Batteries get me?
Hi, Lewis -
1. Regenerative braking is a function of your AC motor's controller (a VFD), not so much the motor itself. So yes, all AC drive systems can have regen braking, with the VFD set up to do so, and they should. It's just to good to pass up.
2. Ask the guys over at the EVDL, because I don't know specific motor specs, and they will.
3. Solar panels, wind generation...my opinion is that these don't add much to your range. The regen braking will be a lot more bang for your buck. Do put solar panels on your house, though, for recharging the car. Infinity free miles!
4. I hear perfectly good reports from Optima's 12v batteries (12v are a good choice for AC), but better reports from Interstate/USB.
Comments for Question about AC Motors
Click here to add your own comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Motor Q&A.